Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Eleventh Day of Christmas

Mercy: The very idea that God is willing to consider His death the same as ours so that we may live a life free from the punishment of sin given that we have put our faith in His sacrifice and acted accordingly.

Grace: God's favor and His gift of power and strength to do what is right in all circumstances.

These two thoughts were actually on my mind yesterday- however, since yesterday was... well, you know- so I thought I would write about them today.

What list could be complete without the mention of God's grace and mercy? Not any list I could come up with. When I say that, I mean that more in the sense that these two things could not be overlooked simply because this is my list- and if anyone has ever come close to 'breaking the bank' of Grace and Mercy- it is me.

Last Sunday night one of our new converts stood in front of the crowd and talked about how she was going to give Jesus her praise and worship this year. Right in the middle of her speaking the Holy Ghost swept into the sanctuary. Our pastor's wife, Sis. Holley, began to sing the song 'My Alabaster Box' (I think that is what it is called). The presence of the Lord was so wonderful as he accepted their gifts.

I am sure that beautiful new convert might look at someone like me and wonder, 'How much Grace and Mercy have you used... I mean, really?" Yet, I have had an entire lifetime to know where the mark is and continually miss it! The thing is- you don't know.

You don't know what roads I have traveled in my life. You don't know how it is possible that I am here today. No one knows- no one but Jesus and I. Yet in the end our oil is all very similar- it cost Him His life.

Today, on this eleventh day of Christmas, I choose to celebrate the gift of Mercy and Grace. The gift that I have yet to wear out- and never want too!

God is good- no matter what, He IS good... and not just on days where His mercy and grace are in the front of my mind- He IS good ALL the time!

1 comment:

Karla said...

Amen! Once again a great reminder during this season.