Friday, June 15, 2007

Gracie Clark
Alayna Elms
Haiden Isom
Madison Shahan
Wesley Shahan

For ALL of you recently getting the Holy Ghost!
I have been very busy lately and have not told all of you how happy I am for you.


A Note for Everyone Else:


I was talking with my Pastor's wife, Sis. Elms, just the other day about children who receive the Holy Ghost at a young age. I think all too often we fail to be as serious about a child's spiritual development as we should. There are some people who are so skeptical about a child's spiritual 'body' and in particular that of a young child. What we sometimes fail to realize is that children who are brought up in a home where God and His spirit is always present can be years ahead of other children in there spiritual development.

As a public school teacher I can readily see the effects of parents who bring their children up in homes where learning, studying, and reading are all emphasized. You can hear a child read a story in sixth grade and know if they had parents who took the time to read expressively to them as a young child. You can also see who the students are who are only being educated from 8:00 - 3:30 each day. The difference can be astounding.

Why would we think that spiritual development is any different? Children who are raised in Godly homes where the presence of God is felt, and a life of serving God is experienced, not just talked about, should be years ahead of children who have not been given the same spiritual attention. Too many babies are spiritually starving and therefore lacking the necessary spiritual development to understand and grasp the things of God at a time in life where the pull of the world is less than it will ever be.

I believe wholeheartedly that having the Holy Ghost before the age of ten (if not younger these days) is paramount for any child who has been raised in the truth. Why- because soon after, the pull of the world and the pressures of an ungodly society will really began to be felt. Children can certainly get the Holy Ghost later; however, it will not be nearly as easily as when they are younger.

Ice Cream, cake, pizza, high-fives, hugs, kisses, 'I love You's; all of these are totally in order!

7 comments:

Karla said...

Joseph, I couldn't agree with you more!! It makes a world of difference for children to be raised with Godly parents. And let me just add here ..... you and Jason are shining examples of what it means to be raised by Godly parents!!!

CONGRATULATIONS to all these children who have begun their walk with God at such an early age!! We are so PROUD of you ALL!!!

Linda Elms said...

Joseph, I enjoyed our conversation so much the other day! I told Bro. Elms about what you said, and he agreed 100%! It is so thoughtful of you to take the time to write to these children and parents. You have your hands full in taking care of your Mother, and you still take the time to give congratulations to the children! WOW! It means more than I can say for you to do this for the kids, but it doesn't just affect them, it affects their parents and grandparents! Thank you for loving the children and giving them spiritual direction in LifeSAVERS and in Sunday School. I agree with Karla about you and Jason being raised by wonderful people of God! If all parents were like yours we wouldn't have to worry about the children being raised right! Thank God for people who love God like your family does! I could go on and on, but I better stop. Maybe I will write a "post" about this sometime!! Love you and we're praying for you and the family!

Anonymous said...

Bro. Joseph,
Amen and Amen! My husband has always promoted children to receive the Holy Ghost before 10 years old. Sometimes he will take a whole service and gear it toward children. Many kids have received the Holy Ghost down through the years in these kinds of services. I am so thankful to see the list here of your children there in Wichita Falls receiving the Holy Ghost. That is just awesome.

Thanks too for ministering to my sister. She really loves your family as I'm sure you know already.

Keep up the good work. You and your family are in our prayers!
Sis. Hurst
www.iluv2prshim.wordpress.com

Keith and Carla said...

AMEN to all of the above comments! We love you all and you're in our prayers.

Madison S. said...

Amen to all that was said above
You do not know what you mean to our kids. You are such an influnece to them. We are praying for you all

Tammy Bryant said...

Joseph, you NEVER cease to amaze with your love for people, children, but most of all the LORD. It shows in ALL you do. Thank you for being strong through "EVERYTHING"! It obviously is a way of life for you. WOW and what an example for all of us.
You remind me of someone I knew dearly -- keep up the great life!

Mandy said...

Wow!!! As I said before I think you are awesome! You never cease to amaze me with your strength and zeal and everything in between! I can't wait for Alayna's life to be influenced by you through Lifesavers I appreciate all you do and who you are!